A short history of Elim

The Elim Pentecostal Church

The Elim Pentecostal Church was founded in 1915 by a Welshman in Monaghan, Ireland. George Jeffreys was an outstanding evangelist and church planter. He had a Welsh Congregational background, was strongly influenced by the Welsh Revival of 1904, and was introduced to Pentecost by an Anglican vicar, Rev Alexander Boddy of Sunderland.

Between 1915 and 1934, George Jeffreys conducted evangelistic outreaches throughout the United Kingdom. His preaching was powerfully effective. Many were converted and there were many testimonies of incredible healings.

These outreaches often resulted in a new church or a group of churches being planted.

The name 'Elim' is taken from the book of Exodus. As the made their journey out of Egypt and out of slavery, the Israelites came to Elim, an oasis in the desert, where there were twelve wells of water and seventy palm trees (Exodus 15:27).

As the Movement grew with amazing rapidity against the background of dramatic decline in the historic churches, the picture of an oasis proved to be a fitting symbol of spiritual refreshing.

Elim has continued to grow since its beginnings in 1915. Today, there are over 550 Elim churches in the UK and nearly 9,000 world-wide.

Glasgow Elim

Revival came to Glasgow in 1927 when George Jeffreys held miracle crusades and evangelistic missions at the St Mungo Hall in Glasgow. Thousands of people would flock to hear George Jeffreys minister. Many were saved. Many were healed.

Glasgow Elim Church was birthed out of this revival 80 years ago and, after been located in several venues, on 2nd June 1984 Glasgow Elim Church moved to Inglefield Street, Govanhill. The church has since undergone two building projects in recent years to maximise the use of the current site. As Glasgow Elim's ministry grows even this is becoming too small for the plans God has for us.

You can find more about Elim’s history on the Elim website:

Who we are